5 Reasons to Earn Your Master’s in Theology Online
Published by Calvin Seminary
If you are pursuing a Master of Theology (ThM) degree, you may want to consider an online program. With benefits ranging from flexibility in your schedule, to remaining in your current community, to being able to have a world-class education even at a distance—this could be the degree you’ve been looking for.
1. Enjoy a Flexible Schedule
Of all the online-only programs that Calvin Theological Seminary (CTS) offers, the ThM is currently the only synchronous program. While you will have to log into class at specific times, you still have the flexibility to participate in class from wherever you find yourself that day. The online program allows you to take classes in all terms—starting in September, February, and June—so you can continue making progress toward your degree. The online ThM is expected to take 1–2 years.
2. Pursue a Rigorous Master of Theology Degree
The online Master of Theology degree from CTS is consistent with the in-person curriculum, giving you all the benefits of an accredited, seminary-based education from the comfort of your home. You’ll experience the benefits of getting a ThM from a school that is rooted in the Reformed tradition, ecumenically welcoming, community-focused, and academically rigorous.
3. Get an Affordable Seminary Degree
Pursuing a master’s in theology online allows you to save money because you can continue to work in your current context without having to relocate to attend classes in-person. At Calvin Theological Seminary, distance students are also eligible for financial aid and scholarships just like on-campus students.
4. Learn in Community
At CTS, you can enjoy the benefits of community even as an online student. You will connect with professors and fellow students, experience small class sizes, partner with our outstanding research librarians, and more.
5. Explore the Concentration of Your Choice
Whatever your concentration, as a ThM student, you will engage in theology that strengthens the church’s biblical and theological understanding and its ministry.
Because Calvin Theological Seminary’s ThM program is an advanced degree that enables students to concentrate in an area of interest, each student must choose a concentration from one of the following:
- Old Testament: Through online learning, you can go deeper in your study of the Old Testament, learning from top scholars and receiving personalized attention in your area of interest within Old Testament Scripture.
- Ancient Near Eastern Language and Literature: As a distance learner, you will immerse yourself in the study of Old Testament history, understanding the cultures of these times, including language and literature.
- New Testament: Study online to learn more about the life of Jesus and the work of the early church through this biblical studies concentration.
- History of Christianity: Your online program will allow you to engage with historical Christianity, researching the life of the global church over time and in a variety of communities.
- Systematic Theology: Learn more about the story of Scripture and how theology makes a difference in our lives through this online concentration.
- Philosophical and Moral Theology: Take a philosophical and practical look at moral theology through this online concentration, which explores timeless writings and encourages spirited conversation.
- Pastoral Care: Be trained online for excellent and compassionate faith-based care.
- Pastoral Leadership: Lead your church with wisdom, knowledge, and biblical grounding with the help of this online concentration.
- Preaching: Enhance your preaching as an online learner. Take advantage of fresh sermon resources and guided practice.
- Worship: Bring together communities to worship God. Learn about the history, practice, and purpose of worship through this engaging online concentration.
- Evangelism: Learn online and allow a missional perspective to change the way you live and share God’s message to the world.
- Educational Ministry: Impact learning communities through Christ-centered leadership. You will experience extensive online preparation through this concentration.
Promising Next Steps
ThM graduates from Calvin Theological Seminary have been accepted into doctoral programs at many schools and in a variety of specializations. Recent graduates have entered doctoral programs at the following schools:
- Boston University
- Brite Divinity School
- Calvin Theological Seminary
- Claremont Graduate University
- Concordia Theological Seminary
- Dallas Theological Seminary
- Duke Divinity School
- Evangelical Theological Institute of Louvain
- Free University of Amsterdam
- Fuller Theological Seminary
- Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary
- McMaster University
- Princeton Theological Seminary
- Southern Baptist Theological Seminary
- Toronto School of Theology
- Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
- University of Leiden
- University of Wisconsin
- Westminster Theological Seminary (Philadelphia)
- Wheaton Graduate School
Start Your Master’s in Theology Online
A vibrant, online ThM program is waiting for you at Calvin Theological Seminary. Apply now!
Explore More Calvin Seminary Online Master’s Degrees
In addition to the online ThM program, there are other master’s-level degree programs available online at CTS, including:
- Master of Divinity (MDiv): Pursue an advanced theological degree, foundational for ministry leadership and ordination.
- Master of Arts in Bible & Theology: Study online in this master’s degree program that explores the connections between historical Christianity, theology, and the Bible.
- Master of Arts in Christian Leadership: Learn more about Christian leadership, choosing electives to personalize your program to your goals and calling.
- Master of Theological Studies (MTS): Be an MTS distance learner who dives into Scripture, language, theology, and apologetics. Deepen your faith and continue in your calling.
Visit Calvin Theological Seminary’s Campus
We can’t wait to host you on campus! Schedule your visit today, or, if you need more time to find a date that works for you, please request information so we can continue the conversation about supporting your calling!