Applications for individual faculty development projects are due December 1.
Applications for corporate development projects or for service projects must be submitted by a faculty standing committee or division. These applications are also due December 1.
Please submit proposal with project description, rationale, objectives, and budget to the Vice-president for Administration.
Administrative Committee: January 15, 2007:
The committee clarified its interpretation and application of the Faculty Heritage Fund protocol in the following regards:
- The protocol stipulates that ordinarily 50% of expendable earnings will be directed to faculty development projects and 50% to faculty service projects. Within the latter category, the committee will give preference to faculty service projects within the CRCNA. (See no. 3 of the Faculty Heritage Fund protocol)
- The committee is disinclined to approve Faculty Heritage Fund grants for requests for repeat visits to the same location. Any request to return to the same location much be accompanied by a rationale outlining the strategic value of the personal and financial investment for both the applicant and CTS. (See no. 4 of the Faculty Heritage Fund protocol)
- Recipients of Faculty Heritage Fund grants are reminded of the requirement to submit written reports to the committee upon completion of the project. (See no. 6 of the Faculty Heritage Fund protocol)
- Applicants are encouraged to consider other funding sources for potential projects (e.g., the Missions Institute) in addition to the Faculty Heritage Fund.
Also note Article 6 in the Heritage Fund protocol that requires written reports on past Heritage Fund projects. Please submit a brief report to the Finance indicating you have completed your project. If you have not already done so, please include receipts supporting itemized expenditures.
This endowment fund was established as a result of the capital campaign “Meeting the 90s: Keeping the Heritage, Advancing the Gospel.” (1990-1994) The fund’s purpose is to generate earnings that will enhance the academic effectiveness and stature of the faculty and foster its service to the church. The expendable earnings will be used to support such projects as faculty development projects (eg. research expenses, occasional papers, book subventions, special resource acquisition, faculty consultations or seminars) and faculty service projects (eg., a periodical on current issues, seminars or conferences, resources for churches).
- The fund is managed as part of the seminary’s total endowments and is subject to the policy for endowments established by the board of trustees.
- Awards are made annually by the administrative committee, based on applications received by December 1 for funding during the following fiscal year. Awards are announced by February 1. By September 1 of each year the committee is to invite proposals and designate any limits or other special provisions.
- Ordinarily, approximately 1/2 of anticipated expendable earnings will be directed to faculty development projects and 1/2 to faculty service projects.
- Full-time faculty members with teaching appointments are eligible to submit proposals for individual faculty development projects. These proposals are to include an ample description of the project, rationale for it, time-table, objectives, and itemized budget. The rationale should address both the benefit to the applicant and to Calvin Seminary.
- Standing committees and divisions of the faculty are eligible to submit proposals for corporate faculty development projects and faculty service projects. These proposals are to include an ample description of the project, rationale for it, time-table, objectives, and itemized budget.
- Written reports, including receipts supporting itemized expenditures, are to be submitted to the committee upon completion of the project.
- In making awards, the committee will ordinarily give preference to faculty members who have not received an award previously and will consider over all institutional priorities. Unexpended revenues may, at the committee’s determination, be carried over to the following year or added to the endowment fund.