Applying for Candidacy for Ordained Ministry in the CRCNA
In order to be a Minister of the Word in the Christian Reformed Church in North America (CRCNA), students must meet the synodical requirements for candidacy, must have demonstrated academic, personal, and professional readiness for ministry, and must ordinarily have a cumulative GPA of 2.85.
As the seminary of the CRCNA, Calvin Theological Seminary (CTS) is charged with offering a Masters of Divinity (M.Div.) degree that meets the ministry standards set by Synod. Through its candidacy committee, faculty and board, CTS also offers a candidacy program whereby synodical candidacy requirements can be satisfied. The Ecclesiastical Program for Ministerial Candidacy (EPMC) offered by the seminary is a candidacy program approved by synod and especially designed for students studying at other seminaries.
- Candidacy Committee (CC)
- Ecclesiastical Program for Ministerial Candidacy (EPMC)
- Information for churches interested in prospective candidates
- Personal Qualifications For The Ministry
- Frequently Asked Questions by students applying for candidacy to upcoming synod
- Delayed Candidates (see Question #7 in FAQs above)
Candidacy Application Process 2012-13
Login to see your progress…
- Biographical Sketch: (due by January 11, 2013) Fill out online.
- Two sermons: (due January 25, 2013 turn in to Karlene) Three copies of the sermon manuscript (typed double-spaced) on the assigned text, three copies of the sermon manuscript from a text of the student’s choice (not one written for class work)Two DVDs of the assigned-text sermon only, ideally from an actual worship service. Check each one to make sure the quality is good and that your entire sermon is there. Guidelines for sermon prep
- Council Recommendation: (due February 22, 2013) This form is to be completed by either the minister or the clerk of the council. Forward this form to the church either electronically or in hard copy.
- Photograph: (due February 22, 2013) Information regarding the photo that will appear in The Banner and booklet for Synod.
- The denominational candidacy interviews will be held on April 12, 2013.
All students aspiring to be ministers of the Word in the Christian Reformed Church (CRC) are part of the candidacy process at Calvin Theological Seminary. Students often have questions about the Candidacy Committee–Who is on it? What does it do? What is its relationship to Mentoring Group leaders? How are psychological assessments used by Mentoring Group leaders and the Candidacy Committee? Read Everything students always wanted to know about the candidacy process (pdf) for a serious, but playful, discussion of an important part of the seminary journey for students bound for CRC ministry.
Psychological Assessment Program
All M.Div. and M.A. students participate in a psychological assessment early in their seminary program. Read The Psychological Assessment Program (pdf) document for an explanation of the psychological assessment process and various follow up activities that may be recommended by psychologists.