Leadership in Ministry Course – Listening to the Church

I have the privilege of not only being President of Calvin Theological Seminary, but also being given the post of Professor of Church Planting and Leadership.  For the last few years, I have shared a week with entering students in our Gateway class with Center for Excellence in Preaching Director, Scott Hoezee, as we discussed the preparation and presentation of messages.

Because of certain academic course changes, I will now be co-teaching with Rev. Peter Choi in a class entitled – “Leadership in Ministry”.  This summer is a summer of preparation for this fall course that Master of Divinity students take after their summer internship.  I look forward to teaching this class and sharing insights from nearly 20 years of pastoral ministry, but I could use your help.

If you are a graduate of Calvin Theological Seminary, could your share your thoughts with regard to this question – “I wish I was better prepared to lead in ministry in …?”  Another way of phrasing the focus might be – “I wish I had more training in ….”

If you are a lay leader in the church, could you complete this question – “I wish Calvin Seminary prepared students more in ….?  Another way of phrasing the focus might be – “I hope that Calvin Seminary provides training in ….”

Your thoughts, comments and input will help in the discerning of what to focus on and what to bring up for students in the “Leadership in Ministry” class.

As a pastor, I still remember the opportunity to ask the congregation to shape a certain sermon series.  As President, I hope this opportunity to ask the church to shape a class is one that you will take up.  I look forward to reading your responses.

They can be directed to email hidden; JavaScript is required.  To help in sorting, please note the subject line of Course #775 or Leadership in Ministry.

In advance, I say thank you for your help in class preparation!    The Church and Seminary working together produces wonderful results – in and outside the classroom!

Facebook Twitter Email