Broken

Broken.  Newtown, Connecticut is broken.  Families are broken.  Sandy Hook Elementary School is broken.  We are broken.

In this Advent Season, the plans of many for a simple celebration of Christmas have been drastically altered.  This past Sunday, I sat in a church where songs were sung and prayers were prayed and words were spoken in an attempt to frame tragedy and provide perspective.

I was blessed to hear the new pastor of New Life Christian Reformed Church (where I served as founding and senior pastor) point us toward Herod’s decision to “Slaughter the Innocents” in Matthew 2:13-18, where we also recognize that the pain of loss continues from generation to generation:

“A voice is heard in Ramah, weeping and great mourning, Rachel weeping for her children and refusing to be comforted, because they are no more.”  Matthew 2:18

This prophetic reference was a reminder that Christ came for a broken world and Christ came to redeem our broken world.  Matthew quotes Jeremiah 31:15 to note that the evil of Herod is not outside the ultimate plan of God.  God is still at work.  He still desires to redeem and renew.  He still desires to wipe away our tears.

Just a few verses after Jeremiah 31:15 we read, “I will put my law in their mind and write it on their hearts.  I will be their God, and they will be my people.”  (Jeremiah 31:33)

The promise of God is secured by Jesus Christ as He is “the Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us.”  In the midst of the pain of brokenness, may we take comfort in knowing that He came to be broken for us.

May God bless us and may He bless our broken world.

Facebook Twitter Email