Distance Program Becomes Reality at Gateway

Calvin Theological Seminary welcomed 14 distance students to this year’s Gateway, the seminary’s orientation course for new students. With a compressed five-day schedule that ran into most evenings (Aug 20-24), students got a foretaste of many on-campus intensives to come. From lectures on hermeneutics and homiletics to lunch in the student center and dinner at the parsonage, students were also treated to a taste of residential life at CTS.

Throughout the busy week, members of the first year cohort also had an opportunity get to know each other. Amidst food, laughter, and study together, they enjoyed the start of friendships that will deepen in the years to come. Coming from diverse walks of life, they expressed a common gratitude for the journey on which they are about to embark. Hear some of their remarks:

• “Walking through the hallways of the seminary and seeing the pictures and sensing the history, I felt grateful to be here.”
  • “I had all kinds of ideas and expectations coming to Grand Rapids. But my experience here has exceeded all my expectations.”
  • “I’m grateful that I can continue serving my home church and still get an excellent seminary education.”

We are grateful to welcome the inaugural class of distance M.Div. students to CTS. They come from California, Illinois, Iowa, Michigan, Mississippi, New York, Alberta, and Ontario. Together we are reimagining theological education for a changing world.

A total of 14 students are beginning the distance program this fall. For more info about the program, please visit: www.calvinseminary.edu/distance

Facebook Twitter Email